Tuesday, September 20, 2011

6th Artwork - Boboi Amsyar

Finally, the portrait is complete! Alhamdulillah!
This is my 6th portrait…to see my previous artwork, click here.

Click image to have a clear view.

Boboi Amsyar

I drew this portrait as a gift for my aunty Anisah (I call her busu Nisah). She has such an adorable and super cute little boy (1 year old now) (my cousin, Amsyar). So, I decided to draw a portrait as a gift for her.
Since, I’m still a student (unemployed)…heh..so the portrait is a ‘duit raya’ for my aunty.
So, I would like to share with you how I made the portrait. I believe that every portrait artist has their own way of drawing, so do i.
Basically in every portrait I made, there will be 3 steps.
1. Sketch
2. Detailed drawing
3. Final touch up (Editing + blending)

Step 1: Sketch out the form

Click image to have a clear view.

Be precise!...that’s the rule I used in this first step. No wonder I spend 2-3 hours only for sketching…(I do take some rest…not sketching continously ). I start by sketching out the basic form of the portrait using a light pencil (HB). Light pencil lines can be easily erased when I move forward to next stage. I take a serious effort during this first step because to draw such a realistic portrait requires that key proportions are correct. I will not move into 2nd step until I'm satisfied with the sketching. Seriously it is a challenge for me..As a beginner / fresh artist in portrait drawing, so I used a grid lines (you can see in the picture) as a guide to helps me to sketch precisely (eyes, nose & mouth position).

Step 2: Detailed Drawing
Click image to have a clear view.

The starting point in this step begins with the eyes. I used dark pencil (2B/6B/8B) for the inner part of the eyes. For me, eyes convey our expressions and inner character. It will affect the entire ‘mood’ of my drawing. For the hairs I used 8B pencil. After the eyes come the nose and the mouth. Additional detail and blending will come later (step 3).

Step 3: Final touch up

Click image to have a clear view.

Here comes the final step of my portrait drawing. Using a tortillion (a tightly rolled piece of paper with the end softened by sand-paper) I blend the pencil/carbon to create a different tone (Very light, light, dark, very dark)…Different tones will create the depth and will affect its realistic….To be honest I'm just a "freshie" in blending technique…personally I’m not satisfied with my blending performance..still need a lot of practices. But, I have tried my best create the depth and tone.


When i compared this portrait with my previous collection, especially my first artwork, i just can't believe the differences between the two. now, i'm realized that ''To improved my skill, never stop from drawing"...keep practicing (Sketch, detailed drawing & blending)

p/s: sorry for the broken English…=), 

p/s: ada perbezaan antara portret dalam bentuk softcopy (scan) & hardcopy (on paper), terutama dari segi bayang-bayang pada muka boboi amsyar ni. Normally i used my roommate's printer to scan the portrait (lebih clear), but for this artwork i just used mine. If i had the opportunity, insyaAllah...i will replace it with a better one.

2 comments:

Xiet_Enigma said...

OK one more request. A potrait for my adorable son pleaseeeeee.... Hehehe....

Ruqaiyah Yusof said...

wah, update rupenya blog ni, huhu...dah lama tak singgah sini...
dan, berkarya lagi rupenya, huhu..sekarang ni keje mana?
Kagum la dengan potert2 ni, huhu...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis